Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ukiya’s Merchandise Hunt – Zamboanga


I returned to my hometown, Zamboanga last semestral break and since I am at it, decided to do some window-shopping for various anime merchandise while I am roaming around the city to see if there are any changes… and I was right.

To those who don’t know the place, it is at the bottom tip of the Philippine archipelago of the second largest island of the Philippines, Mindanao. Now you had a bit of knowledge about Philippine geography, let’s get down to business shall we?

First stop, Big V’s Super Store, beside the fire station.


I checked the store’s second floor since accordingly, they sell Gunpla, so I checked it out. They had quite a good range of Gundam kits on their stow! Aside from those Hongli ones, they had what seem to be, authentic Japanese Naruto and Dragon Ball Z figures worth Php 60-65 (About $ 1.40-1.50 in the current exchange rate), the size of the figures was about 2-3 inches.

I was able to take pictures of the their display of Gundam but I failed to take pictures on their second shelf which is filled with more Gundam, Cammy from Street Fighter and Yuna from FFX figures were displayed because the saleslady noticed that I am taking pictures, and it is illegal to take some in their shop. Yeah right.

Killing two birds in one merch!

And so, I only got is the shot seen on top of this entry. Too bad I wasn’t able to take the photo of a bootlegged Power Rangers Operation Overdrive toy with the 30th Anniversary Super Sentai logo on it with the words, “awesomeness and spectacularly” emblazoned in the box.

But hey, I was able to get more photos when I returned to the shop when I visited it again… but that toy is missing. :(

Next stop, Maskipop!, just a few blocks away from the previous one.


Back then, they used to sell bootlegged video games and cellphone accessories, and when I returned to their shop to check it out, I was surprised on what I saw in the glass, a Muten Roshi figure with him charging up to perform a Kamehameha attack!


Aside from that, I spotted quite a good amount of decent figures on sale still on their boxes. Namely, Play Arts FMA figures which featured, Ed, Al and Winry, K-ON! figures with all members of Ho-kago Tea Time minus Asuza, Miku Hatsune and surprisingly, which caused me to hyperventilate within, a BLACK ROCK SHOOTER Good Smile figure! Too bad, all of them cost from Php 1,200-1,500 (About $27.90-34.88).

Here’s more shots coming from the shop.

Death Note and One Piece!

An army of figures!

More figures with some more bootlegged ones!

Next stop, Mindro Mall, a few meters away from the previous stop.

Nothing interesting, except this bootlegged toy that I spot with the picture of Hibiki and Kuuga merged into one! Aside from that, IXA and TheBee here are photoshopped! Wow, so if someone buys this toy, he will train into the art of no fear, no pain and being a jerk while cooking tofu at the same time!

The said mall has a Maskipop! branch but I never spotted interesting aside that it still sells bootlegged games and some original ones.

Next stop, Tickles! A few blocks away from Mindpro.


I went to the shop on the second day I went to the city. Aside from spotting bootlegged toys (One of the best things in window shopping for merchandise!), I spotted a stuffed Doraemon figure outside and inside the shop, the one pictured on top, Dragon Ball plushies! The price for Mr. Popo (Hiiii...) one is Php 198 (About $ 4.60), the Goku ones cost roughly Php 480 (About $11.63). The price of the Kenpachi one coming from Bleach never bothered checking it. I checked if these toys are legit, and it is. The tags are still intact and it is still in quite good condition.

Some more bootleg shots!

Bootlegged DBZ figures!

Bootlegged Gaoranger/Power Rangers Wild Force figures... dagger included!

Next stop, Southway Square, a few meters away from Mindpro. And a few blocks away from the nearest KFC.

The ground floor had quite a good amount of merchandise; I think I will just let these pictures do the talking.

 Metabots manga... behind a Sudoku magazine!

 An old issue of Cosplay Magazine. Its feature? Shaider photoshoot. Too bad, I do not have cash that time...

 An army of Naruto figures!

 More ninjas!

 Some DBZ figures and behind is Kirk and co!

On the last floor, which the toys section and the arcade are located, we have these.

 Toys found in the arcade. Chimchar from Pokemon at the very end and Doraemon!

 Finally! they started selling Gunpla! More reasons to thank TV5... and HEROtv!

 More Gunpla!

 Power Rangers RPM toys! Last time I checked, they sell Shinkenger sofubis but when I checked it again, they are now missing...

Metal Fight Beyblade merch now available! Wait, they also sell the Bey Stadium?!

Final stop, Shopper’s Center: The Gateway, a few blocks away from Southway Square.

I had many pictures taken coming from the first floor! XDDD

 Bootlegged Yu Yu Hakusho and Detective Conan figures!

 Along with mini-Gundam figures and bootlegged Pokemon ones, we have Ultraman!

 A Code Geass figure! Inside the shop, they also sell a Lelouch one.

 Mamma Mia! A Mario figure!

 This. This is one thing I would like to get!

SH Kamen Rider Kuuga Rising Mighty Form is available here along with SH Kamen Rider Kuuga Ultimate Form. Too bad, it cost Php 695 (About $ 16.17). When will they sell this figure cheaply?

 Bootlegged Katekyo Hitman Reborn figures!

Doraemon heads!

 More Doraemon!

 Chibi Dragon Ball Z figures!

ONE PIECE!

 Lucky Star figs with some Pokemon beside!

 Cellphone straps!

 Extremely awkward looking Naruto figures! Look at the fat Sasuke!

 Broly!

 Haruhi figures! Too bad like most legit figures that I found here, this one is expensive!

 Ikkitousen and Bleach figures! Oh, L is also here.


 Street Fighter figures!

 Some Pokemon ones. Oh look, Dora is behind. Buizel, attack!

Astro Boy!

On the third floor, I had only these ones.

Bootlegged Machine Robo Rescue toys!

Gundam!

More Gundam!

For starters, I only explored only 75% of the entire city and I am sure, I don’t know much of the new sights that I can see in this city. Aside from that, if I will take pictures of bootlegged DVD’s that I spot, I might lost my cellphone camera (Which I used in taking this pictures), plus, it might fill this entire entry with those pictures, considering how interesting those bootleg DVD covers looked like. Here’s a sample to those who are wondering.

On one DVD cover, the title states, “Power Rangers Mystic Force,” the picture? The Overdrive Rangers! On the other one, I spotted a DVD of a D.Gray-Man Season 3 and for starters, D.Gray-Man doesn’t have a season 3! And my personal favorite, a cover of Naruto Shippuden that states: Latest Episodes 10,000-30,000! And I thought I was the only one who lost count in the number of episodes this series has!

No comments:

Post a Comment